So you launch your first ever blog on Wordpress for free. You feel like a diva after uploading logos, headers, and your first post then somebody mentioned you can do some tweaks and include links to your social media sites. There’s this thing called Bloglovin’ which is like a bloggers’ hive. Of course, you want to be there too! You created an account, only to find out Bloglovin’ does not support Wordpress. You cannot embed their official icons to your blog and link directly. Don’t think you’ve wasted time and effort. Here’s what you should do:
- Think of an icon you would like to use as your bloglovin’ icon.
- Edit your icon in Photoshop if you want it personalised with your blog name. You can set the image background to transparent if your blog background isn’t white. Another option is to use Canva on your pc or mac. It will allow you to superimpose a transparent logo over a photo.
- If you do not know how to use photoshop and would like to do the editing via your smartphone, there are plenty of apps that allow users to add text. I’m using the app Phonto to quickly place text over any image. In smartphone apps though, you’re limited to plain white or coloured background.
- If you want a flashing effect like mine – create a gif! make two versions of your image and upload them here: http://gifmaker.me/ Click Create GIF on lower right (you’ll see the preview) and then click Download. It will be saved on your computer. Locate the file (it usually goes to downloads folder or desktop depending on your settings) and rename it.
- Go back to your blog’s dashboard. Under themes, click customize. Click widgets > main sidebar > add widget > IMAGE. You only need to fill 2 information:
(a) image URL – I uploaded my image onto my blog’s media gallery and copied the link and put it here. The easy way to do this is to open your blog into a new tab or window, go edit any blog entry or create a new one, click add media, add your image there, copy link, and then exit without saving the blog.
(b) Link URL (when the image is clicked) – open a new tab, go to your bloglovin profile page which displays your posts. Copy the URL and paste it here.
- SAVE & PUBLISH!